[Cyborg] Fwd: adapter compatibility question QFN 20 pin to DIP-20 for HMC5843

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Mon Mar 23 22:48:21 UTC 2009

Awesome.  I'm going to order 2, anybody else want in on that order with
me?  (I've ordered from them before in a hurry, paid too much for
shipping AND got the wrong part, but I'll be more careful this time)

Meanwhile, here's the response on the HMC5843 thread on sparkfun to my
question about the package:

"I couldn't find any PLCC adapters which were correct either. I just
risked it and made my own PCB through batchpcb (It was a 2.5 week
turnaround for me during February) which worked out.

Be very careful with the honeywell datasheet, and make sure you have the
most current one. The initial Honeywell datasheet was completely wrong
with I2C comms.

Also note that the footprint pin numbers in the Honeywell data sheet are
the BOTTOM view, so you need to reverse your brain to get the pinout
right. I can post an image of my footprint and layout when I'm back on
my pc, remind me of this.

I think you will likely get the same issue with the chip as me, my
belief is digi-key has a bad batch of chips. I have contacted Honeywell
about the issue and RMA'd my chip back to them and hopefully get one
from a new batch. They were out of stock so it has taken approximately
3-4 weeks waiting for a new chip from them.

Hopefully between us and the other people on this board this issue will
get worked out. The HMC5843 is the most cost effective and accurate
integrated compassing solution I have seen.

-Todd"