[Cyborg] Fw: [bafuture] "Wearable robotics" talk on Oct. 28

ch_luk at berkeley.edu ch_luk at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 30 04:53:49 UTC 2009

The talk was good, and it's worth checking out! I'd love to hear what
others thought.

The talk spanned various topics in robotic surgery, from characterizing
the surgeon's use of robotic tools to extreme surgery on the battle field.
The highlights from my perspective were the following:

* the analysis used to map a surgeon's use of robots as he/she progresses
from resident to expert. Their data begs the question as to how we can
speed up surgery training though.
* the video of wireless tele-surgery using an UAV to maintain the wireless
connection
* time lag of wireless information in tele-surgery. Haptic info is more
tolerant of longer time lags. Visual info requires shorter time lags, on
the order of 250 ms (roughly our reaction time)
* Jacob Rosen's vision of the future of surgery - semi-autonomic surgery
for things like suturing, smarter robots that capture the surgeon's
intentions rather than actions, collaborative tele-surgery, image-guided
surgery

=)
  Chung-Hay