[Cyborg] rumble vest

Adam Skory askory at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 04:04:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Nick Burrows
<shamrockman at shamrockman.net>wrote:

> If they were ultrasonic, they would be stepping on each other, and echos
> and other artifacts are more prevalent. Also ultrasonic equipment tends to
> be bulkier than equivalent IR gear.

I agree that they look like the IR sensors I've messed with, and nothing
like the ultrasound ones. Although I will say that there are plenty of
ultrasound sensors about that size or smaller.

Also, there are ways to overcome the ultrasonic sensors interfering with
each other by using fancy timing routines. Our brains' sampling rate, and
not to mention the speed of motors to spin up and down, is much slower than
the time needed for several pulse-echo sequences, so you really only need to
run one sensor at a time. This does NOT however, help the problems with
their super crappy range :( ... and you're right that there are probably
lots of other artifacts to worry about.

-Skory