[Cyborg] rumble vest

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 00:24:10 UTC 2010

Agreed, those are infrared sensors. This pic is pretty clear:
http://www.k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/perception/HapticRadar/IMG_1452s.jpg

This is a Sharp infrared sensor:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_sharpirrange.shtml
http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/articles/sharp/sharp.html

Given the narrow beamspread of infrared distance sensors, I would think
ultrasound would work better in the same application.  The wider
beamspread of ultrasound should mean fewer transmitters & receivers to
fully cover 360 degrees: probably just four pairs would be fine with
ultrasound.  The ultrasound transmitters I've been working with have a
90 degree,  -6dB beamspread.  Infrared is basically blind outside about
a 25 degree angle.

Ultrasound tx & rx would pick up bounces off the huge targets they use
in the video, no problem.  Driving an ultrasound transmitter also takes
much less power then infrared, but of course both would be dwarfed by
the power of running a pager motor.

    Tom