[Cyborg] [EEG] Sorcerers' apprentice (Re: Bootstrapping class?)

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Tue Apr 13 20:00:00 UTC 2010

Just to chime on the neuroscience stuff - I work as a part-time research
tech over at Cal Berkeley, and used to be a research tech over at University
of Pennsylvania when I lived in Philly. Both jobs were computational
neuroscience,
biophysical modeling for neurons and then more abstract mathematical models
of
computation for neurons.

I'm not a grad student or anything, but got my foot in the door by
volunteering.
Many researchers are more than happy to teach volunteers what they don't
know in return for a little labor. I volunteered for months prior to my
first position,
then got a part time job as a tech, then eventually a full time job. It's a
long road
but definitely worth it. I did the same thing at Cal Berkeley, although my
prior
experience as a tech at upenn definitely helped.

All I'm trying to say is that if you're interested in a lab somewhere, email
the
person in charge of the lab and meet up with them. Read their papers, start
out as a volunteer then move on from there if you're still interested after
that.

  mike