[Cyborg] wearable computer

David Molnar dmolnar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:09:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://blog.2yb.org/
>
> He hacked apart a MyVu Crystal display to get a single-eye display, then
> used a beagle board with linux installed on it.  Foldable Nokia SU-8W
> bluetooth keyboard for input.  Final touch? Jailbroken iPhone provides
> internet access :-)
>
> I'm not gonna make my own, but it sure would be neat to try wearing it!
> By my count it's only about $400 worth of stuff (not counting the
> iPhone), so clearly wearable computers do not have to be expensive anymore.

The optics on the MyVu Crystal assume both eyes are present. If you
just cut one in half and don't change the optics leading to the LCD
screen, as he appears to have done, the resulting single-eye display
is headache inducing and blurry at the edges. He doesn't mention this
problem. Wonder if it's just not as bad for him given the way he's
mounting it..?

Gregor Richards was able to remove the LCD screen from the optics, still works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhN_zsWWicg

There used to be a pair of MyVu Shades floating around in Noisebridge
for hacking projects like these. The Shades are only 320x240
resolution, though.