[Cyborg] 200 laser diodes

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 20:27:08 UTC 2010

I sent a contact thing to the dude, asking if he's got any design
information up anywhere, and about eye-safety of the device.  Because I
think that's the key thing here: can a beam which is visible in e.g. a
club (dim lights) also be eye-safe?

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety), to
be legal (=eye safe), the laser must be <5mW, that makes it fall into
class IIIa (now class 3R).  I found some fairly cheap IIIa laser diodes:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/263635799-Civil-Class-3A-red-650nm-5mw-dot-diode-laser-module-wholesalers.html

It's not clear to me if you need an external circuit other than a
current-controlled voltage source to drive these.  I don't think so, I
think that's what they mean by "module" as opposed to just buying the
diode.  If you do just need a current controlled voltage source, we
should be able to drive these directly from the North Paw circuit, all
we need is some resistors in series with the "motor" outputs.

But I agree that while building the device, we'd need to have some
goggles.  It'd give you a headache for sure if you caught one in the eye
more than a few dozen times.

Anyone else interested in bulk ordering of these?  With shipping they
are going to be about $4 each, so for <$50 you can have a pretty decent
number of them.

Eric