[Cyborg] 200 laser diodes

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 17:12:48 UTC 2010

I'd love to help make that testing rig.

It'd be especially interesting if we could test the unit-to-unit
variation in optical output.  We wouldn't need a rig capable of
measuring absolute power, just one capable of monitoring relative power
between exposures.  I'm thinking any old photo diode should be able to
do that, yes?  Just hook up the laser & a photo diode to an arduino, do
a brief pulse of light, record the reading, do the next one, etc... The
hard part might be the laser-diode alignment, we probably need to build
a mechanical rig of some sort.  We could also monitor the electrical
power consumption, I wonder if these lasers vary much in efficiency.

I'd be pretty upset if there are more than a couple of duds in this lot;
I think 5% would be outrageous.  At any rate, it's too late to tack on
more now :-(.  What makes you think the failure rate will be so high?  I
am wishing I'd ordered a couple extra dozen - I didn't mostly because I
didn't want to get stuck with more than my 16.

I have an interesting safety question: do you think that PWM controlling
the lasers would actually make them eye safe?  For instance, let's say
we discover that the true optical power of the lasers is something like
10mW.  Would it actually make them any eye safer to PWM control a laser
to 50% duty cycle?  Theoretically that reduces the "power" to 5mW, but I
expect that in practice it's the peak intensity on your fovea that
causes the damage, and PWM will not reduce the peak intensity.  Thoughts?

Eric