[Cyborg] pretty smart textiles

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 17:15:29 UTC 2010

http://www.design.nl/item/pretty_smart_textiles

It's an exhibit in the Netherlands with about a dozen examples of "smart
textiles", i.e. putting circuitry into fabric.  It's open till June
24th, anyone going to be in the Netherlands?

There is actually really excellent information about each piece online:

http://prettysmarttextiles.com/en/exhibition/

I really love the "intimacy" piece:

http://www.v2.nl/lab/projects/intimacy/

I'm dying to know how I could get some the controllable-transparency
foil that they used, that stuff sounds like magic!

<<
One day I was in a lab where they develop flexible screens. I saw
something lying in a corner. I asked, "What’s that?" “Nothing really,”
they answered. “All it does is turn from white to transparent.” It was
material that was 1 millimeter thick. I was immediately enthusiastic
about it. They let me take it with me. Then we continued to develop it
with the manufacturer to make it more flexible and UV-proof. Now we can
dim it, too – at first it could only be on or off, transparent or white.

If anyone can find the product name or a link to the manufacturer,
that'd be super awesome!

Eric