[Cyborg] 200 laser diodes

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 07:06:51 UTC 2010

Thanks Christoph.

Sadly, there are two egregious errors in *my* calculations:

1) The laser are only 5mW, not 50mW

2) There is a big difference between the optical power of the laser and
the electrical power it consumes, i.e. the diodes are not 100% efficient.

I found a different part that actually gives a current rating:

http://www.futurlec.com/Laser_Diode.shtml

It's a 10mW laser (twice as powerful), operates 2.3V @ 45mA (note this
does implies only ~10% efficiency!).  But, if we assume our device is
similar but half power, we come back to 23mA, which is still totally
driveable using Arduino pins, although you might want to limit yourself
to 9, as per Christoph's research below.

So long and short my two egregious mistakes kind of canceled each other
out, and everything still works :-)

Eric