[Cyborg] wizard costume w/ staff

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 00:41:05 UTC 2010

http://www.digitalcrusader.ca/2010/10/wizard-costume-with-illuminated-staff.html

More tech details: I also had a 3-axis compass chip in the circuit (the
circuit was actually my old 3-axis prototype North Paw circuit), but it
turns out the same lesson that Skory and I learned ages ago still
applies: if the battery is too close, it messes up the compass readings!
  Because the laser-cut enclosure was just-big-enough, there was no way
to get the circuit far enough from the battery to get decent compass
readings, so I had to give up the idea of a compass mode where the
colors would correspond to the direction the staff was turned.

Also fail: the mercury tilt switch (I can't believe they can still
legally sell these things - but they have like 50 on sale for $1.25 at
the local home hardware!) triggers fairly often when you're walking with
the staff, so you can't just leave the staff in the accelerometer mode
while walking, which is too bad.

Finally, I put a "backup" white illumination on the bottom of the staff
(with a third battery), because I was worried that the batteries of the
primary illumination might not last a whole night.  But I didn't end up
having to use it - battery life is at least 5 hours!

I am ridiculously happy with how well the staff came out, it was about 2
solid days of work, but it looks exactly as I hoped it would.

Chung-Hay suggested that I should add a sound-reactive mode, I agree:
that would be awesome.  So maybe next year I'll pick up this staff and
improve it some more :-)

Eric