[Cyborg] fluid dress

ben lipkowitz fennfoot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 07:38:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, miloh wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>       http://laughingsquid.com/fluid-dress/
>
>       It's awesome.  I thought perhaps they were using glow-in-the-dark fluid,
>       but actually it's a UV-reactive ("blacklight") fluid.

I had this same idea, well, not a dress though. You can get various
colored water soluble blacklight dyes from glowbottles.com for pretty
cheap (~10 shipped for 4 colors)

anyway, one large problem is that you need to have a black light shining
on you. instead you could use glow in the dark powder* suspended in a
liquid and illuminate the fluid with UV LED's at intervals. this is like
glow in the dark paintballs, which have a UV flashlamp at the end of the
barrel to "charge" the paintball as it leaves the gun. except instead of a
paintball you have a stream of liquid.

* http://www.unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28_45

>       the boundary where the fluids change will become mixed.  I wonder if you
>
> Is it using air gaps as separators?  I only watched once but it seems like air gaps and a compressor for flow control.

yep. looks like he's mixing the fluids in the earlier videos though.
paraffin (lamp oil) works pretty well too, if you don't mind being covered
in tubes full of flammable fluid.

> Is there a sorting sensor at the input?  Heard of stuff like this in water control dishwashers.

please elaborate?