[Cyborg] fluid dress

Jennifer Lang jennytoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:11:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Eric Boyd <mrericboyd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The dress isn't very wearable though - first, it's rather transparent,
> so the model would have to expose herself a little

  That's not that big a deal, really.  On the playa it's fine as-is, but you
can wear a bodysuit underneath, or give it a liner.

> that pumping rig is clearly large, heavy and power intensive.

  Yeah, but it also looks fairly complicated - multiple channels, some form
of separating the liquid in the channels (I don't know anything about
working with fluids to know what's involved here).  It seems like you could
simplify it and not be quite as flashy, and yet still look awesome.

> The real trick is in the fluid changing - especially because over time
> the boundary where the fluids change will become mixed.  I wonder if you
> could devise something that would flow in the tube along with the fluid
> at the boundary between fluids and help slow the mixing?

It looks like it's using airgaps, at least at times, but some of the
transitions on the sculpture didn't look to be separated, although the
sculpture looked to be dumping into a large container, so it was simply
mixing in the end, and not recirculating.  With the small ID of the tubes
airgaps would probably be sufficient, and a color sensor could be used to
sort incoming liquid.  I'd expect it'd still require fluid changes
eventually, but not frequent ones.