[Cyborg] hacking polar

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 16:57:09 UTC 2010

Dave,

That sounds interesting.  Currently I don't hack Polar, I just use a
receiver that sparkfun sells:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8660

But that little sucker costs $15, which is the vast majority of the cost
of the whole project (assuming you already have a polar chest strap and
transmitter - those things are expensive too!).  I also only get a
square-wave signal once per heart beat - no deeper data (despite the
fact that I know these things do EKG).  It'd be super awesome to
roll-my-own receiver.  At the very least it'd be interesting if they
transmitted some kind of "confidence" measure that could help me rule
out the false-positives (and maybe catch some of the missing beats too).

Do you have any links for hacking these things?

Also, anyone know what the relative market penetration of these products
is?  I know Polar has a pretty big presence[1] but I don't know if that
means 25% or 75% or what.  I also have no idea on percentage of the
population that might already own one, is it <1%?, 1%, 10%?

Eric

[1] I tried the classic google trick:
"polar heart rate monitor" = 679,000 results
"garmin heart rate monitor" = 417,000 results
"timex heart rate monitor" = 256,000 results
"suunto heart rate monitor" = 219,000 results
"heart rate monitor = 1,370,000 results