[Cyborg] open source pulse sensor

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 15:50:45 UTC 2011

http://pulsesensor.com/2011/08/01/anatomy-of-the-diy-heart-rate-monitor/

The kickstarter for this project made the rounds a couple of weeks ago,
but apparently failed to get posted here?  Anyway, this update on their
open source optical heart beat sensor is pretty cool, they show the
device operating live, with their GUI, in a variety of spots on the body
- ear lobe, forehead, finger tip, middle of the finger, palm, lips all
work well.  Wrist doesn't work very well (and similarly you can assume
that most areas on the torso won't work). I am especially impressed with
how movement-insensitive their data is on the ear, that's totally
awesome.  It's a lot less clunky than most optical sensors as well.

I've pledged enough to get me two pulse sensor kits when they are ready
- if you're interested, the kickstarter is still open, though they
already have way more than they asked for :-)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342192419/pulse-sensor-an-open-source-heart-rate-sensor-that

Eric