[Cyborg] Interesting idea

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 19:31:33 UTC 2011

Your idea reminds me of the 'aremac' stuff that Steve Mann did back in
the 90s.  Camera in reverse.  The idea is to have a camera right in
front of where your eye is, and a screen right behind it, and then have
software that sits between the camera and what the screen shows.  Then
you can arbitrarily change the (live) image entering your eyes - not
just contrast, you can edit out ads, superimpose text, capture stills or
video of exactly what you see, do all the classic 'augmented reality'
stuff.  The trick is having the camera exactly in front of the eye, so
that there isn't any strange distortions due to positions and stuff.
But of course the camera is not the hard part - the hard part is the
screen.  I agree with fenn that you're going to find any affordable
display quite crappy - although since his vision quality is already
reduced, maybe that will be less of a concern?  You'll still discover
that peripheral vision is killed, the eye strains because of the close
focal distance, the glasses are heavier than you'd like, etc.etc.

Still, fun project.  I'd totally hack up a myvu or similar.  There was a
set at noisebridge for the longest time, in the cyborg/sensebridge
area.  No idea if it's still there.

You could also prototype using a smart phone trivially.  Write an app
that uses the camera and the screen and does the contrast/brightness
enhancement.  Hold phone close to bad eye :-)

Eric