[Cyborg] fMRI machine learns you

Andreas Stadler rain at meta-mind.de
Wed Dec 21 21:39:15 UTC 2011

am not sure about the details of the Science article ...

but i suspect we've been doing something similar,
with less resolution and precision of course,
using EEG Neurofeedback Visuals and Sound real-time feedback loops.

whereby it's clearly possible,
to reshape mental patterns and long-term neuron-pathways,
by the concept of stimulating and rewarding,
the neural net in the brain,
with selective positive feedback,
of intense imagery or harmonic-versus-disharmonic sounds.

it works through reward circuitry,
strengthening connections of simultaneously pulsing neuron-clusters,
when these connections are active
and are time-wise relatively "near" a stimulus.

simply provide reward stimuli,
whenever the brainwaves or blood-flow,
(randomly) oscillate a little towards the desired pattern.

one can then set the system
to a pre-configured desired pattern of oscillation.
kinda lika a "brainwave oscillation synthesizer",
where one turns knobs and drifts into new brainwave patterns.

it also can be configured,
to reward whenever brainwaves e.g. Fourier-bandpass-EQ analysis
of PersonB go into a similar n-dimensional-distance-metric direction,
more similar to PersonA brain-activity-footprint.

been doing this with meditation and artists,
where a "meditation master" or "prototype artist"
goes into a certain mental state,
and others,
connected through a brain-computer-interface,
go into similar states,
as far as brainwave-patterns and frequencies go.

with the higher precision and resolution of more advanced metrics,
and high-tech medical imaging like fMRI,
it provides the added feature,
to target specific brain-areas,
instead of affecting "general background oscillation"
like with EEG Neurofeedback.

- - -

looking forward to creative discussion around ideas
associated with the new discovery in the science article,
or expressed here, and lets conduct our own studies,
about new forms of learning and accelerated neuron-reshaping,
for example within the Quantified-Self or Open-BCI community.

Cheers,

~AndreasS | MeTaVoluti0N MeTaMecHanICs | www.Meta-Mind.de

http://Quantified-Self.de | http://Open-BCI.org