[Cyborg] fMRI machine learns you

Dallas Card dallas.card at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:48:55 UTC 2011

Here's the original article and supplement. It seems pretty solid, but keep
in mind that all they demonstrated is that they were able to use neural
feedback to train people to be better at quickly recognizing a very
specific visual pattern. It's still cool they were able to do this without
participants knowing what they were doing, but it's a pretty big stretch
for the authors to then say they are now able to " 'incept' a person to
acquire new learning, skills, or memory". Also, it seems like they should
have had a control group "learning" the traditional way, by just staring at
the target pattern for long periods of time in order to give a sense of how
effective this is.

I don't think any of us will be learning kung fu the lazy way any time
soon...

Cheers,
Dallas

P.S. As a side note, it's so insane to see the degradation of accuracy and
increase in hyperbole going from the original article -> NSF -> io9 ->
dvice...