[Cyborg] augmented nose

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 16:31:56 UTC 2011

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20927995.300-augmented-nose-sniffs-out-illegal-stenches.html

I was searching around for pictures of augmented senses (cause, you
know...), and check out this image I found!  It's so awesome I'm almost
speechless.

"Smith's trusty Nasal Ranger looks a bit like a handheld ray gun, with a
twist (see photo). On the front is a black dial pierced by six holes
ranging in size from the width of a pencil lead to a mere pinprick. At
the rear is a mask that you place over your nose. The two are connected
by a barrel of Teflon, which resists residual odours. Two carbon-based
filters are mounted on either side."

Ironically the device doesn't enhance your sense of smell, it actually
allows you to *dilute* odors, so that you can tell how strong an odor
is, you dilute smells until you can't detect them: "Those states in the
US that regulate odour allow a dilution level of 7. Any smell measuring
higher is considered a "nuisance" and can lead to hefty fines."

Eric