[Cyborg] DIY pulsed laser pistol

Nick Burrows shamrockman at shamrockman.net
Fri Mar 11 18:33:02 UTC 2011

If you get a laser designed for pulse operation, its not that bad. Yag
lasers are very easy to find that can do pulses. Ebay has a Yag pulse laser
that does 50kW for 4ns (0.2J) for $150. For pulse lasers, the thing that
really matters is how big the pulse is in Joules and what wavelength its on.

The continuous lasers I have at work can pulse up to 4x their nominal rated
power (nominal rating ~4kW), just as long as I don't exceed the average
power rating. Pulse lasers are equipped with a different type of cooling
than CW (continuous) laser to better handle the heat spike generated by
large pulses (also coatings and lenses may change).

See http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserscl.htm#sclsy1 if you are
interested in how to drive a pulse yag laser (very similar to camera flash)