[Cyborg] DIY pulsed laser pistol

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:09:53 UTC 2011

There's another art piece called the YAL-1, which is a megawatt-class
laser built into a 747 with a 3-5 second pulse time.

After spending $5B on development, and verifying that it can, in fact,
damage missile while in boost phase (not descending phase), but only at
relatively close range, Defense Secretary Gates said that "I don't know
anybody at the Department of Defense who thinks that this program
should, or would, ever be operationally deployed. The reality is that
you would need a laser something like 20 to 30 times more powerful than
the chemical laser in the plane right now to be able to get any distance
from the launch site to fire.

"So, right now the ABL would have to orbit inside the borders of Iran in
order to be able to try and use its laser to shoot down that missile in
the boost phase. And if you were to operationalize this you would be
looking at 10 to 20 747s, at a billion and a half dollars apiece, and
$100 million a year to operate. And there's nobody in uniform that I
know who believes that this is a workable concept."
(quotes taken from
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1 )

bonus: the turret looks like the eye of Sauron!
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:Airbornelaserturret.jpg

     Tomm