[Cyborg] AlphaDog >> BigDog

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 03:03:12 UTC 2011

Cool, but a little creepy. $32M is just the amount given in 2010:
they've already received at least $42M already, and the development
process is worth describing because it's really interesting combination
of military, academic, and commercial development.

In late 2005, DARPA gave about $2M to Boston Dynamics to make the Little
Dog, a 12" long robot with sensors in each foot.  Then in 2006, DARPA
challenged six different university teams (Carnegie Melon, MIT, USC,
UPenn, et al)  to write software that allowed the Little Dog to navigate
hazards, thus giving many different groups a shot at writing the
software (which is the hard part of the problem).

Based on success with the small dog, DARPA gave Boston Dynamics another
$10M in 2007, with options for $10 million a year for 3 years, or $40M
total.  I don't know which team(s) did well on the software side, but
they were and almost certainly are getting millions in development
money, too.  My guess is that DARPA now has $100 million+ into the project.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=littledog-darpa
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/darpas-robot-dog-project-03457/

     Tomm