[Cyborg] regrowing your own teeth, in your mouth

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 14:13:12 UTC 2012

Hmmm, this is interesting.  I think the tooth we see in the video is
actually 3D printed, it's the scaffold that they implant.  That's why
it's got all those channels.  In fact the scaffolds cannot be later
removed - the bone and other tissue grows into them and they become a
permanent part of the new "tooth".  They spend a lot of time focusing on
the blood vessels and other tissues that join the scaffold to the jaw,
which makes sense, that's super important.  They don't talk however
about how much actual tooth/bone grows into the scaffold, though they
did say that what mineralization occurs is "well mineralized".  So it's
difficult to tell how actually usable that "tooth" would be.  Maybe it
takes longer than 9 weeks to get all the mineral you need?  I wish they
had said something like "in 9 weeks we got 26% of the bone of a regular
tooth" or something like that... as it stands, it's hard to know how
hard the tooth would be.  I wonder how hard the plastic scaffold is?

Eric