[Cyborg] indoor positioning system using magnetometer

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 22:05:44 UTC 2012

This paper has some hard data on using a magnetometer to determine
indoor location:
http://www.sigmobile.org/mobisys/2011/slides/magnetism.pdf

In the Data Analysis section, they show that although they were accuracy
to 1 meter 75% of the time, they also had some instances of being off by
50m in a 70m hallway, for an average accuracy of 4.7m.  Adding in
heuristics bumped them up to 88% accuracy, but still with some errors >60m.

But add this kind of data to step counting, as the calibration procedure
appeared to do (and every smartphone has an accelerometer), and it's
probably a worthwhile system.  Cool stuff.

     Tom