[Cyborg] laser powered bionic eye

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 16:33:26 UTC 2012

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/132918-the-laser-powered-bionic-eye-that-gives-576-pixel-grayscale-vision-to-the-blind

I wonder how much more efficient the solar cells and the device will
have to become before the laser (which basically just adds more energy
to the light which already comes in) will be unnecessary?  Maybe it's
already unnecessary in bright light, but they need it in dimmer light?
I can see not wanting to implant a battery...

I also wonder what the experience of wearing this device would actually
be like.  So much of our visual experience of the world is "faked up" by
visual processing already, so I'm wondering how well this will integrate
with all that processing.  Consider for instance: peripheral vision (no
color sensors!), blind spots, motion detection, etc...

Anyone know what the typical (approximate, estimated, equivalent, etc)
resolution of our fovea is?  The wikipedia article is basically useless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovea_centralis

Eric