[Cyborg] heart rate from your wrist

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 20:15:04 UTC 2012

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alphaheartrate/alpha-the-holy-grail-of-heart-rate-look-ma-no-hand

Anyone know anything about these guys?  They basically claim that with
the addition of an accelerometer, they are able to get "EKG quality"
heart-rate data using optical techniques on your wrist.  The
accelerometer basically allows them to compensate for the effects of
motion.  I'm a little skeptical, there many many teams working on this
kind of thing, some for YEARS, and I haven't seen any successes yet...
what makes their tech better?  It worries me that their "testing QA" is
still in the future, I wonder how much testing they have actually done
so far?  This tech is easy in theory, but super super difficult in
practice...

(see for instance https://mybasis.com/ - still letting you "Reserve Now"
almost two years after the initially promised launch date... now
refusing to even offer estimated launch dates... they do deserve some
credit for NOT launching a half-baked crappy product, of course :-)

Eric