[Cyborg] modify vision with electronics or gene therapy first?

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Mon May 14 15:20:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Jean Rintoul <jean.rintoul at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting that they have the human testing question on their site as
> well. The main risk they are quoting is potential blindness due to
> retinal detachment.
>
> "
> • Side effects of subretinal injections can include irritation or
> infection, in addition to the risks of permanent retinal detachment
> and blindness at the injection site. "
>
> Perhaps they can test for retinal detachment in other primates first,
> then find some people who really don't like being color blind. I'm
> sure there are some people out there who would volunteer if they
> thought they'd been missing out on something all their life.
>

> Jean

The risk (blindness or adverse side effects of the viral infection
elsewhere in the body) vs. benefit (enhanced color vision)
just doesn't seem to balance out, given that you can simply wear glasses or
goggles that reversibly change the spectral range of your vision
... at least if you don't mind having pictures of you looking like a weird
insect all over the interwebs.

Christoph