[Cyborg] EMG gesture input: Myo

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 22:42:07 UTC 2013

http://www.electricfoxy.com/2013/02/a-hands-free-gesture-device/
https://getmyo.com/

It's a super cool arm band that uses EMG to detect muscle activity, and
turn that into gesture recognition without the use of a camera. The FAQ
says they also have a 6-axis IMU.  The prototypes on people's arms look
a lot different than the renderings on the site - they are clearly still
early in development.  There isn't any information on the website about
who is behind the thing, so I did a whois on the domain, and I got back
this:

     Grant, Aaron  aaron.grant at thalmic.com
     151 Charles Street West, Suite 100
     Kitchener, ON N2G 1H6

So it's Canadian!  $149 for "shipping late 2013".  It looks like the
Leap Motion might actually have some competitors :-).

I think I might have to spring for this one.

They are apparently in the winter 2013 Y Combinator cohort (they have
raised $1.1M so far):
http://www.techvibes.com/blog/canadian-startup-y-combinator-winter-2013-cohort-2013-01-10

Eric