[Cyborg] Aireal: Interactive Tactile Experiences in Free Air

Todd Anderson todicus at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 17:57:46 UTC 2013

That is really cool! I've heard of vortex generators used as scent delivery
devices, and even tried to make one with an old camera aperture and a
speaker. The speaker didn't have enough displacement, I think, so just
covering the open end of a tin can with stretchy material, and making a
small hole on the opposite side, gave better results (though required a
finger tap).

As for latency, they say ~140 msec at a distance of 1 meter. Good not
great. Here is a chart of vortex speed vs distance traveled:

[image: Inline image 1]

The phased array ultrasound mentioned in the intro sounds pretty awesome;
has anyone experienced something like this?

"In ultrasound-based acoustic radiation fields [Iwamoto et al.
2008; Suzuki et al. 2010; Jason et al. 2011], a two-dimensional
array of 324 ultrasonic transducers operating at 40kHz form a
beam of ultrasound using a phased array focusing technique.
Because of the low ultrasound frequency, 99.9% of incident acoustic
energy will reflect from the human skin creating a pressure field
which provides perceivable tactile sensations. By modulating the
ultrasound beam at ~200 Hz, the perceived intensity of tactile
sensations increases due to the high sensitivity of skin to vibratory
stimuli at this frequency [Sherrick 1991]. A phased array technique
is used to control the focal point of the ultrasound beam
[Suzuki et al. 2010]."