[Cyborg] ToyTalk + Barbie

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 20 18:38:18 UTC 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/magazine/barbie-wants-to-get-to-know-your-child.html

Great, long article about a new Barbie which reminds me strongly of The
Diamond Age (Neil Stephenson).  Article even mentions that book by
name.  Apparently ToyTalk Barbie has 8,000 lines of Racted dialog and an
AI engine to make conversation.  It remembers previous conversations and
key facts and uses them to make new conversations in the future.  I've
love to talk to one in person...

"What exactly girls will make of Hello Barbie isn’t clear. Research
shows that children don’t fully believe that artificial-intelligence
toys are alive in a biological sense. But they also don’t treat them
simply as devices. Instead they are increasingly comfortable with a
third ontological category — beings that are less than human but more
than machines. Turkle, whose upcoming book is titled ‘‘Reclaiming
Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age,’’ says that we have
arrived a​t a​ ​‘‘robotic moment’’ — a milestone that is as much about
cultural acceptance as it is technological achievement. ‘‘It's not that
we have really invented machines that love us or care about us in any
way, shape or form,’’ Turkle says, ‘‘but that we are ready to believe
that they do. We are ready to play their game.’’"

http://www.barbiemedia.com/videos/detail/790.html
http://toytalk.com/

Eric