[Darkroom] Polaroid nut reporting in

Jasmine Strong jasmine at electronpusher.org
Tue Oct 13 02:40:49 UTC 2009

So, I'm being talked into giving a workshop on Polaroid photography.
I'd like to therefore float this idea, but first I'd like to hear back
from you folks on what particular topics in the world of Polaroid
people are interested in.

If you're interested in the wonderful world of Better Photography
Through Chemistry, I'd like to hear from you-  either by private mail,
or by mail to the list.  Here's a quick background, and I'd love to
talk and give a little history on what I think is the most immediate
and social method of chemical photography.

Polaroid has basically three eras.  The first of these was spent
making the polarizing filters which gave the company its name
("polarizing celluloid") and isn't that interesting to photographers
(though it is illuminating from the point of view of understanding the
background of the company).

The second era was spent making the peel-apart films which were the
runaway success of the early 60s.  I don't use these, but a lot of
photographers do, and I can talk a little about the chemical process.

The third and most interesting era was spent making the revolutionary
integral print film that first debuted in the early seventies with the
launch of the incredibly cool folding SLR, the SX70.  This era is just
coming to an end now, as the final deadstock film starts to expire.
Fortunately, the completely insane Impossible Project team is planning
on resurrecting it next year, so the future of Polaroid film is set
to, well, actually exist.

I have a number of cameras for integral film, which I would love to
demonstrate, and maybe we could do a workshop on the capabilities,
limitations, and accessories available for these cameras which are
available cheaply and in many cases are of very good quality.

What do people think?

thanks,

-J.