[Darkroom] Granite Counters

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 18:58:53 UTC 2010

This is just a guess, granite is nowhere near radioactive enough to be
a concern around film. The exposure time with direct contact to
granite would probably be months with high speed film. Again, I'm just
guessing.

As a boy, I measured the radioactivity of granite buildings and found
no significant levels above cosmic and solar background radiation.
Smoke detectors contained americanium and were much more interesting
to measure.

Apparently old lenses contain thorium and yttrium and even those would
take several weeks to expose ISO 100 film.

We could intentionally expose ISO 6400 film to granite in a light
tight photo paper box and see what happens vs a clipping of the same
roll that has not been exposed. A Geiger counter could be used to
calculate a proper exposure time?

Chris

Sent from my iPhone