[Darkroom] Starting a camera/equipment inventory and lending library

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Feb 21 05:22:11 UTC 2010

Noisebridge now has a ton of cool photography related equipment. Some of
which many of us on this list would like to use because they're cool,
some of which we could lend out to those wanting to learn general
photography.

There's nothing stopping anyone from taking anything out of Noisebridge
for the personal use and nothing is secure in the space. Most of the
time when things "get stolen" from here it seems like it ends up being
someone thinking they could borrow something and forgetting to return
it. If we create a library system now and label things properly, this'll
give convention to others to remember to return things. It'll also give
those who want to use the object next the ability to poke the current
borrower and remind them to return it.

The logical system to do this is to label everything with names, then
have a place to document check out name (email would be best), checkout
date, check out condition, estimated return, actual return, return
condition. This can either exist in real life (as in a notebook in the
space) or on the wiki. I wouldn't do both as that gets confusing.

Unless I hear any objections I'm going to go ahead and print some sheets
for a binder to keep in the darkroom with a small inventory of our stuff
that I'm fairly sure is good to check out. Current list on mind is...

* Nikon N90s - Donated by unknown
* Nikon D70 IR - Donated by Peter Hamel
* Nikon Nikkor 28mm 2.8 - Donated by Peter Hamel
* Nikon Nikkor AF 35-70mm 2.8 - Donated by unknown
* Nikon flash SB-26 with cable - Donated by unknown

And just my luck the label printer ran out of labels. :(

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net