[Darkroom] [Build] Conduits towards darkroom

jim jim at well.com
Tue Jan 19 08:04:27 UTC 2010

   anyone concerned with electrical wiring at 2169
   PLEASE READ THIS

   i've invented a scheme for wiring at 2169:
* always run one black, one red, and one white in
any pipe run--i.e. don't run just one red and one
white or one black and one white.
* always wrap tape around the black, white, and
red trio to show they're grouped together--do
this where the trio enters and also where they
leave any and every junction box.
* always use black for receptacles.
* always use red for lights and appliances.
* on all devices (receptacles or light fixtures)
black or red connects to brass connectors, and
white connects to silver connectors. on two-way
switches it doesn't matter which red wire connects
to which connector. on three-way switches the two
traveler wires connect to the two identically
colored connector and the red wire from power or
to the device connects to the odd-colored connector
on the switch.
   the reasons behind my scheme have to do with
2169 being a hacker space. ask if you want to
listen to me explain the details.

   there are two basic considerations for wiring:
* doing it right so you don't short-circuit things
and maybe damage stuff or worse.
* doing it to code so that no one knowledgeable
gets horrified and pulls an alarm.

   there are well-known conventions to wiring;
whoever next works on the stuff you did is likely
to know about and depend on those wiring
conventions. their work may be unnecessarily
difficult or dangerous if you don't follow the
conventions.
   there are a lot of conventions as well as lots
of details to code requirements. electrician
training programs are four years in length. it's
a lot more than just screwing screws and building
lego-like pipe runs.
   not that there's much to know about what to do
for most of 2169 wiring. but you have to do those
few things right, and you have to know what not
to do.