[Darkroom] Darkroom meetup Nov

jim jim at well.com
Mon Nov 29 01:04:15 UTC 2010

   don't put any wiring _in_ the walls. use EMT (metal
tubing, which is running all over the place and in the
darkroom) so's to run wiring _on_ the walls.

   what electrical work do you have in mind?

   there's the shit what needs doing page on the NB
wiki.

   there's a general plan: improve lights, which means
determining where we want lighting and then moving
fixtures to the right locations and hooking them up.
   i suggest people take ownership of one task and then
ask for help or supplies or whatever to get the task
done.
   note the columns in the center walkway have got EMT
running from an approximate switch location up to the
ceiling. the idea is to determine local lighting and
then run pipe, install boxes, pull wires, and hook up
devices.
   when done there should be a switch for a local light
as well as a receptacle either in the same box as the
switch or in a box close by (e.g. right under the
switch box).

   i've been slowly running pipe for three-way switches
near the entrances (elevator and top of stairs) to
control lights for the entrance area (as well as a
light or two in the central areas).
   i'm also (slowly) running pipe in the turing class
room for receptacles around the room as well as one or
two switches for ceiling lights. that'll mean
dismantling the existing lights and rehanging them.
   also it'll be good to reposition the ceiling power
strips to be directly over work tables in the center of
the rooms. that way side tables can use receptacles on
the walls and center tables can get power from the
ceiling.
   it'd be great to get some help. i usually find a
little time during weekdays, sometimes early AM,
sometimes late afternoon before evening activities.