[Darkroom] MAC ZIP Drive...?

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:42:49 UTC 2011

Plug a USB zip drive into a Mac and your disk should mount no matter
how it was formatted (Fat, NTFS, HFS, HFS+).

  I'm guessing the drive is seen by OS X as an USB mass storage
device. Thus OS X won't need additional drivers.

SCSI zip drives will probably work too, but you'll need a Mac tower
with an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card or similar. USB to SCSI adapters exist
but I think you will get better performance with a SCSI card.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 22, 2011, at 0:25, Jas Strong <modulararithmetic at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you install the Boot Camp drivers from a mac install disc, Windows
> can read HFS partitions.  You don't need a Mac to do this.
>
> -J.
>
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have a SCSI mac zip drive -- I need to use it with my antique
>> computer
>> collections though ... there were in the past year several of the
>> drives
>> around Noisebridge, as far as I know tho they got recycled =
>> disappeared.
>>
>> I left a SCSI card in the darkroom for the dye sub printer, last
>> week, did
>> anyone find / install it ?
>>
>> Anyway, I also have a couple old macs with internal zip drives I
>> could read
>> for you.
>>
>> The problem by the way is not just the Drive, it is the format of
>> the disk.
>> Just like with any Mac hard drive, you need to be able to read it.
>> You can
>> read it in Linux, but as far as I know, on windoze you have to pay
>> for the
>> software. I don't use windoze but I may have a 30-day trial program
>> - I say
>> I may because all I know is what it says on the CD - I have never
>> tried it
>> or used it, I don't touch windoze.
>>
>> So if you can find a USB Zip drive you can read the files in Linux,
>> mounted
>> with -t hfs
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Ben Rupert <meowdip at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are mac and PC zip drives different?  I think I still have a zip
>>> drive
>>> around.  I think it's a USB interface with a separate power supply