[Darkroom] fujifilm pictography 3500

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:26:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't have much to add about the pictography. Miloh is definitely
> > the expert there.
> >
> > I am pretty sure that I left a SCSI/USB adaptor in the darkroom with
> > the SCSI film scanner though. Dunno if that's useful for you.
> >

> I would like to see it up and printing.  I have some other projects
> that have priority though.

Me too, I need to slow down.

> Chris Murphy let me know that SCSI - usb adapters don't work with the
> pictography, so I've been keeping an eye out for an PCI adpatec card
> of the right sort.   When we do work on it, I hope Chris can help with
> advice from near or far.
>

> 1) reinstall os X 10.2.4 on the pictography G4 (I think the original
> hard drive died)

you mean 10.2.8 ? Is the final most stable version of 10.2 (free update)
I should have fresh images (clone install) can do EZ.
I don't know how big a drive you think you may need, but a have a small
14GB, I could pre-install the OS at home.

> 2) install the pci adaptec scsi card (2309 or higher)

2906 or 2930U

> 3) install fujifilm drivers, and other software for use with the printer
> 4) obtain scsi cables and terminator

Double check : the machine has no internal termination ? (hard to believe
not with such a fancy item). If it has internal there would be a (tiny) on
off switch for it near the connectors. If buying a terminator is best esp if
using the 2930 Ultra card to have an active terminator, but external ones
are pricy.

I have an internal terminator card (about 2" by 3.5"), requires 12v and has
full size standard connectors (more stable and secure physical connection,
plus I have cable) -- but would require going inside the printer and hacking
the connection. Actually, the connector change is optional as long as the
internal short cable fits. Your welcome to have a look at the part.

The cheap  terminators are just resistors. The point is to eliminate echoes
on the line, but resistor just damps the whole signal.
Also, being older technology, the resistor may have aged, that is changed
its resistance value.
Active terminators are spec for ultra (2930) and help with fast (2906) also.

5) flush the machines water supply, replace with a fresh batch of
> distilled water
> 6) test print with the current donor/receiver paper and determine next
> direction  (if sticking, check water systems)
>
> can you test the printer standalone generate a test page.

> 7a) fix problems and run more tests
> (breakers/circulaters/pump/filter/motor controllers)
> OR
> 7b) obtain filters, rolls of paper and  ER PG-D donor, pay about
> $3/foot or $1.5 per print.

If you trust me I could get the computer together and then we could get
together on the cabling / termination (if its worth the hassle to you , have
a look at the prices for the parts ).

Brian