[Darkroom] Hello and looking for liquid bromine

Christian Rice clrice at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:44:43 UTC 2011

Ben, a few questions for you:

- Is there anything you need from me to facilitate the opening of an
account, any initial order requirement?  If so, I will supply $$ for some
sturdy containment vessels and more bromine.

- did you happen to make it by Noisebridge on Tuesday?

- chemical ordering: when I look at liquid bromine, the published qty
measurement tends to vacillate between mg and ml.  There tends to be 99.5%
ACS (mg), 99.8% (mg) and 99.998% (metals basis, ml).  The pricing and
packaging of the lower two (looking at Alfa's website) vary oddly, and it
seems the middle ground is the best price point (item #00905, 250mg or 1kg),
by far.  Can you shed any light on what's going on?

- what kind of cap would you recommend on a glass bottle of this
stuff--PTFE, teflon-lined, or something else?

Sorry to pester, my particular needs may not fall entirely in line with the
normal darkroom activities.  But then again, it would be my pleasure to do a
Daguerreotype demonstration at Noisebridge in the fall, if there was
interest.  It might go well coupled with other chemistry demos, as so much
of the process deals with basic elements (copper, silver, gold, iodine,
bromine, mercury).  In fact, it would be really awesome to have a chemist's
commentary to augment my largely practical understanding of the process.
Could make a neat educational video...

By the way, I do have a fairly large amount of Hg--maybe more than I'll use
in my lifetime.  The longer I've had my feelers out for such chemicals, the
more people come out of the woodwork with their old carburetor sync kits
they want to get rid of.  One guy gave me a couple pounds in a single jar...