[Darkroom] (no subject)

eric stewart e.l.j.stewart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 05:46:41 UTC 2012

Hi Rubin,

Good to hear from you. I hope your leg is mending well.
We have followed through with the suggestions on the hosting an event
page.  A few weeks ago we introduced ourselves at the general meeting,
announced our intentions and received some very helpful guidance and
advice.  We followed up by announcing our workshop to the
announcements list and we created an event listing for it
(https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Elements_of_Image_Making).  Perhaps
we will send out a reminder e-mail at some point this week.

Initially the only thing we require form the darkroom is the 16mm
projector on the shelves, i managed to track down a replacement lens
for it. I will also be bringing an additional projector and a super 8
projector.
For our first meet, we will concentrate on direct animation and found
footage manipulation. I got us a crystal growing kit, to try our hand
at growing crystals on film! and I also found some crazy
education/science demonstrations films on super 8!

For space we plan to use one of the classrooms, I believe they are
both empty on Sunday.  We can comfortably accommodate 10-15 people.
But there will be 3 of us on hand facilitating this workshop so if
more people show up we should be able to adapt, and if less, more film
to go around!

 We have a healthy reservoir of found footage, leader, supplies etc...
and a couple pairs of rewinds/splicers and a light table that we will
all have to share.  We have facilitated a similar sort of workshop
before if your curious here's some photo's from a previous event in
Oakland: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.578732973142.2054009.82100733&type=3&l=f3e0e5e059

Basically its super fun and awesome, hope to see you and everyone else
there!  Looking towards the future, as interest dictates, we would
like to investigate some processes in the darkroom, discussing hand
processing 16/8 film and also making hand made film emulsions.  How to
actually do this in a workshop setting isn't totally clear to me as
the dark room has some serious space limitations.  But I guess we will
see how many people are interested in those kinds of things and figure
out logistics from there.

-Eric