[Digitalarchivists] Progress

myxomop at lavabit.com myxomop at lavabit.com
Sun May 5 00:11:33 UTC 2013

DA-List,

A much belated update.  The attached image shows the combined forces of
productivity and beer (occupying the same space, no less) which convened
on Tuesday to create the almost complete book scanner you see before you.
It still needs cameras, glass, a triggering mechanism, software and other
assorted magic before it comes to life.  There are oodles of info on all
of those topics at the DIYBookScanner.org forum, which I am gradually
delving into more deeply (have really only been a skimmer until now).

A message went out recently (via Miloh) about Maker Faire, which will be a
great opportunity to showcase this machine provided we can get it some
degree of up and running by that time.  I'm awaiting word back about
possible out of town work obligations for around the same time as the fair
(May 18th & 19th).  My attendance notwithstanding, think about signing on
for a day or more of representing the Digital Archivists Group and its
debut project.  I'm told it's most definitely an event worth attending, in
any capacity.

For those of you who would like to offset some of the costs of this
project, I would say just toss me some PayPal or cash contributions, but I
think we can come up with a more comprehensive system than "paying Danny
back," one which not only organizes expenses but provides a platform for
receiving future contributions.  Food for thought (and possible agenda
item of next meeting).  For what it's worth, the bill for the kit came to
$527.13 USD ($577.13 USD -$50 discount), and Daniel Reetz' preferred
camera model (at least as of May 2010) -- the Canon Powershot A590 -- goes
for anywhere from $25 to $75 a piece on ebay.  Glass will be cheap or free
if it can be salvaged from existing derelict hardware, an idea of
Felipe's.  Triggering mechanisms I have not looked into at all...

That said, perhaps folks could do a little homework on what components to
get next and why, maybe poke around the DIYBS forum, and we can rendezvous
for another build day and Maker Faire discussion when schedules permit.
In the meantime, I hereby christen this brainstorm central.  Discuss.

Cheers,

-Danny
5056709090