[Digitalarchivists] Progress

newmy51 at gmail.com newmy51 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:23:07 UTC 2013

DA Listers,

I'm beginning to doubt we'll have a fully functional scanner by Maker
Faire.  My own schedule is bonkers enough for the rest of the week, plus
there's the wait time on the shipping for things like cameras whose
specific make and model has not yet been 100% decided upon (though I am
being gifted a Canon SD1300IS this afternoon).  That said, there is more
work to be done, brainstorms to be continued, etc.  I propose another
meeting for next week.  Reply with your availability.  Mine's more or less
wide open.

-Danny

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM, miloh <miloh at froggytoad.net> wrote:

> oops more responses threaded in,
>

> > A message went out recently (via Miloh) about Maker Faire, which will be
> > great opportunity to showcase this machine provided we can get it some
> > degree of up and running by that time.  I'm awaiting word back about
> > possible out of town work obligations for around the same time as the
> fair
> > (May 18th & 19th).  My attendance notwithstanding, think about signing on
> > for a day or more of representing the Digital Archivists Group and its
> > debut project.  I'm told it's most definitely an event worth attending,
> in
> > any capacity.
> >

> I will get tickets out to anyone in the DA-list who wants to sign up
> for any available slots for 2x 2hour shifts during the weekend.
> Requirements are to staff the booth and introduce noisebridge, and of
> course the DA group to people coming by. I hope to see the bookscanner
> there!  Finally ,as a perk the job includes free sudomate which I'm
> buying from sudoroom for the event.
>

> > For those of you who would like to offset some of the costs of this
> > project, I would say just toss me some PayPal or cash contributions, but
> > think we can come up with a more comprehensive system than "paying Danny
> > back," one which not only organizes expenses but provides a platform for
> > receiving future contributions.  Food for thought (and possible agenda
> > item of next meeting).  For what it's worth, the bill for the kit came to
> > $527.13 USD ($577.13 USD -$50 discount), and Daniel Reetz' preferred
> > camera model (at least as of May 2010) -- the Canon Powershot A590 --
> goes
> > for anywhere from $25 to $75 a piece on ebay.  Glass will be cheap or
> free
> > if it can be salvaged from existing derelict hardware, an idea of
> > Felipe's.  Triggering mechanisms I have not looked into at all...
> >

> I'm going to help out with the glass and pitch in $30-60 depending on
> what other people contribute.  I haven't asked the general group for
> contributions yet, I would still count on at least $100 coming in from
> generous benefactors at large.
>
> > That said, perhaps folks could do a little homework on what components to
> > get next and why, maybe poke around the DIYBS forum, and we can
> rendezvous
> > for another build day and Maker Faire discussion when schedules permit.
> > In the meantime, I hereby christen this brainstorm central.  Discuss.
> >

> Is anyone else on the DIYBS forums yet?  Years of history talking
> about the project being used all over the world.
> http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > -Danny
> > 5056709090

Danny Newman*
*
*
Founder*
Sociedad Micológica de Bolivia
www.kallampas.org

*Librarian*
Mycological Society of San Francisco
www.mssf.org

*Parataxonomist*
Desjardin Lab, Harry D. Thiers Herbarium
San Francisco State University
http://is.gd/Xp5Trj : http://is.gd/89lBCh