[Efa] [EFA] Two weeks left

Shahid Buttar shahid at eff.org
Mon Aug 15 23:42:50 UTC 2016

When the Electronic Frontier Alliance videoconference gathered online at
the end of July, we heard
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wuQZ5Qd3BQ5yp7szSGHLyYqsasnqvyntu0QywrXdjIE/edit>
about a series of opportunities to promote digital rights available to
you and your local allies.

For instance, we discussed how the month of August preceding a federal
election presents the apex of grassroots influence over federal
officials. *Have you taken a moment yet to seek a meeting with your
federal representative or an aide this month?* EFF can provide suggested
agenda items and talking points on request.

We also heard about:

  * How activists in Los Angeles are fighting predictive policing
  * Events across California exploring computer crime prosecutions and
    racial discrimination targeting Asian-Americans
  * Guerrilla performance art in Utah to depict corporate surveillance
    online
  * EFF’s new Reclaim Innovation campaign, inviting universities to
    consider the public interest when licensing patents
  * EFF’s appearances
    <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/08/eff-eleventh-hope> at the
    Eleventh Hackers on Planet Earth (HOPE) conference in New York
  * Events in New York including a digital security workshop, a
    coalition meeting, and upcoming public education events addressing
    NYPD surveillance technology
  * Constitution Day, which on Friday, September 16 might present an
    opportune time for your group to host a public discussion with EFF’s
    promotional support
  * A chance for you to help expand the Electronic Frontier Alliance by
    introducing allies who run hacker spaces, student groups, or
    community organizations in your area to our colleague Camille
    <https://www.eff.org/about/staff/camille-ochoa>.

To pick up where we left off, join us again
<https://eff.org/2016-08-EFA> next Thursday, August 25 at 6pm PDT / 9pm
EDT.

Talk to you then, and stay strong in the meantime,

Shahid

-- Shahid Buttar Director of Grassroots Advocacy Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF) shahid at eff.org 415 436 9333 x. 171