[nb-ev-handlers] Raffles and associated gubbermint regulations

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 02:18:09 UTC 2013

Okay, James and I are working on streamlining the raffle process, to make it easier for future raffles, especially for the upcoming after-party on May 18th (Maker Faire).

In the process of checking some things, I discovered that we are not in compliance with California Penal Code section 320.5. Namely, we were not supposed to hold a raffle until filing the proper form(CT-NRP-1 http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/charities/raffle/ct_nrp_1.pdf), which is good annually, as far as I can tell, with the $20 fee attached AND submit an annual report of our raffles thereafter (CT-NRP-2 http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/charities/raffle/ct_nrp_2.pdf), the reporting year being between Sept 1 and August 31.

http://oag.ca.gov/charities/faq

I am not suggesting fudging the dates on the books. I also have to find out of the Attorney General classifies overhead costs as still being for charitable purposes.

Further bulletins will be forthcoming.

- Reverend Mik McAllister
"You can see the summit but you can't reach it
Its the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain"
 - Howard Jones, "No One Is To Blame"
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
http://www.prismandink.com
http://www.lunatextpublications.com