[Fab] Lasercutter Z-plate imbalanced?

Bryan Duxbury bryan.duxbury at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:32:07 UTC 2011

I'm new to the laser cutter, and while I've had some pretty good initial
success, I've noticed something a little odd in my cuts - it seems like one
side of the material gets cut more deeply that the other.

More specifically, I've noticed that the upper-left-corner seems to cut
great, while the farther right it goes, the shallower the cuts go. This
manifested in perfect through-cuts in the "good" corner, but a lot of
not-quite-through-cuts towards the right edge of the cutter.

Glancing through the manual, there's a section on adjusting the Z-plate in
the case that it gets out of level. Could this be the cause of what I'm
seeing? If not, does anyone else have ideas about what might be causing the
issue?

-Bryan