[Fab] oh hi i am cutting an acrylic in your dj booth

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Mar 2 23:13:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 02:47:37PM -0800, miloh wrote:
> Whatever kind of water we are circulating to cool the laser (tap or
> distilled), it gets hot with use.  It was at 78C (checked with FLIR)
> after some vector cuts last night.  I'm going to get hoses from and to
> the sink and copper tubing to keep it at a consistent & proper
> operating temp.  Tastebridge could use this too for cooling wort type
> things.     I'll get the 1/4 copper tube and nylon tupe or garden
> hoses plus attachments, and report back later.

definitely don't want to use tap water in the circulating system proper,
that'll gunk it up fast.  Use distilled only.  We can do a heat
exchanger if necessary.

> I didn't have good results with vector cutting acrylic 1/4.  Tapering
> and burning.  I was cutting at 10% speed, 80% power(12mA ), and 2
> passes (focusing on the surface for both passes).  We discussed doing
> 1 pass then refocusing at a lower depth, which I will try a bit and
> report back on.  I may back off from trying any vector cuts in 1/4
> acrylic, this device may not be up to it.  Let me know if I should
> stop already.  From what I've seen the 1/8 and 1/16 cuts look fine.

Thanks for the report!  I'll pick up some 3/16 acrylic at TAP if you
think it'll be helpful to test an intermediate size (my Milkymist case
project wants fairly thick, I think).

Do we want any other supplies beyond acrylic?  Send me a shopping list.

-andy