[Fab] [Noisebridge-discuss] free-cad - the one true free mechanical CAD package that will save the world!

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Mar 27 21:33:16 UTC 2012

Last time I touched BRLCAD was about 5 years ago, before Orb Swarm.  The
effort to get it working was enough to make me, at the time a Penguin
Purist, install Windows and Solidworks.  When Chris Tacklind is your
resource, you do what he does and you like it....

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Michael Prados <mprados at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really, only enough to determine that the work flow of BRLCAD is way
> different from all the proprietary mechanical CAD programs.  For the most
> part, it's been my impression that the proprietary programs evolved in the
> direction they did for good reasons, except where it seems market forces
> have steered them wrong (since it is always therepeutic to make a bitch
> list, see mine below.)
>
> Corey, you are adequately fluent in at least one proprietary mechanical
> CAD package to comment on whether the BRLCAD work flow is "different and as
> good" or just... different.  I'm open to the idea that the proprietary
> programs have it all wrong, but I'd need good evidence.
>
> -Mike
>
> ----
> Mike's 95 (+/- 87) Theses to Nail to the Door of Dassault Systems,
> Parametric Technologies, Siemens, and Autodesk
>
> 1. Your software is too expensive, and your student versions are too lame.
>
> 2. You nickel and dime us for every little extension.
>
> 3. You offer no good interchange format that allows easy modification of
> mechanical designs.  STEP and IGES capture geometry well, but not design
> intention.  Solid Edge is even trying to gain market by using "synchronous
> technology" as a workaround.
>
> 4.  You attempt to keep us on exorbitant annual maintenance fees by
> needlessly changing your proprietary data formats every year, and not
> offering a way to save backwards compatible files.  This is a mean, dirty
> trick.
>
> 5. You have forsaken all but Windows platforms, even though your entire
> industry grew up on POSIX compliant workstations (Irix, Solaris, and HPUX.)
>
> 6. The API's you offer are not conducive to user scripting in the design
> process.  Whereas, a little SCAD style code would fill in a lot of blanks
> in complex geometry, this is out of the reach of anyone who does not have
> the time to learn a complex, Microsoft based development environment
> targeted at proprietary extensions.
>
> 7. Your data formats are binary based and proprietary, making it
> impossible to merge changes between users, and otherwise use tools like git
> and svn.
>
> 8. While you do continue to add meaningful new features to your software,
> you can not adapt to new technology and design methodologies as fast as
> frustrated users could duct tape together mash ups of open source versions
> of your code.  This slows progress in any form of engineering that involves
> a material thing.
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com>wrote:
>
>> BRL cad was given some "summer of code" love a year or two ago. I don't
>> know how it materialized or if, indeed, it did.  Have you touched it since
>> then?
>>
>> I hope I can make Wednesday. As of now, quintuple booked.
>> On Mar 27, 2012 12:19 AM, "Michael Prados" <mprados at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>