[formal-methods] Stuck on a problem.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:23:43 UTC 2009

2009/08/02 Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson <mik at stanford.edu>:
> On Aug 3, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Jason Dusek wrote:
> > We are stuck on problem 4 of Session 10 in "Conceptual
> > Mathematics". Do you have any insight in to that?
> >

> I don't actually have the book around. Could you quote me the
> problem, please?

  So the problem is actually very hard to write out, requiring
  graphics and such. It's on page 132 of "Conceptual
  Mathematics" (http://stashbox.org/541715/cm.tbz).

  I got some help with where I was stuck on IRC and now it
  encourages us to "Guess a stronger version of Brouwer's
  fixed point theorem..." One idea I've had is:

    Any endomap over the infinite plane that can be factored
    through the disk (or any compact subset of the plane) has a
    fixed point.

  However this seems to trivial to be interesting.

--
Jason Dusek