[formal-methods] Injective, Surjective, and Bijective functions

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Sun Jun 28 16:10:58 UTC 2009

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson <mik at stanford.edu> writes:

> On Jun 28, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Crutcher Dunnavant wrote:
>> I find un-cited definitions un-compelling evidence.
>>
>> I'm perfectly willing to listen to argument, and read proofs. But
>> for appeals to authority, I would like citation.
>>
>> As to the issue at hand, it seems trivial to say that injection
>> abstracts to monomorphism and surjection abstracts to epimorphism.
>> Awody's book (Category Theory) makes this claim on page 25. What I
>> haven't seen anywhere, and I've looked, is a claim that it is
>> incorrect to say that injection and surjection are synonyms for
>> their more general concepts.
>>
> Actually, checking that, the idea that monomorphisms generalize
> injections but that the generalization is strictly larger than the
> initial concept, does get discussed on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomorphism
> where among other things, it is stated:
>> It is not true in general, however, that all monomorphisms must be
>> injective in other categories. For example, in the category Div of
>> divisible abelian groups and group homomorphisms between them there
>> are monomorphisms that are not injective: consider the quotient map
>> q : Q → Q/Z. This is clearly not an injective map; nevertheless, it
>> is a monomorphism in this category.

as i started poking around for stuff during this discussion i also found
some terminology clarification at

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epimorphism#Terminology

>> The companion terms epimorphism and monomorphism were first
>> introduced by Bourbaki. Bourbaki uses epimorphism as shorthand for a
>> surjective function. Early category theorists believed that
>> epimorphisms were the correct analogue of surjections in an arbitrary
>> category, similar to how monomorphisms are very nearly an exact
>> analogue of injections. Unfortunately this is incorrect; strong or
>> regular epimorphisms behave much more closely to surjections than
>> ordinary epimorphisms.
[ ... deletia ... ]
>> It is a common mistake to believe that epimorphisms are either
>> identical to surjections or that they are a better
>> concept. Unfortunately this is rarely the case; epimorphisms can be
>> very mysterious and have unexpected behavior. It is very difficult,
>> for example, to classify all the epimorphisms of rings. In general,
>> epimorphisms are their own unique concept, related to surjections but
>> fundamentally different.

this at least clarifies the origins of the terminology and gives a
little background to the divergence.

\p
---
Ring the bells that still can ring. / Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen