[German] Two sounds -- how similar?

Nicholas Fowler nbfowler at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 01:08:50 UTC 2010

There are certainly regional differences. Not sure if regional variation
affects <öl> so much, but [r] will sound different if you are speaking to
southern and sometimes also more rural Germans (although the rural/urban
dichotomy is probably non-existent now).

In the South, particularly Bavaria, [r] is still a trilled alveolar
(articulated with the tongue tip, almost like in Spanish), whereas in
standard German it's a uvular fricative (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_uvular_fricative). The trilled, alveolar
[r] could potentially make it sound closer to [l]...