[Hackability] Detailed writeup from Crystal about hurricane relief work

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.org
Thu Nov 1 04:36:06 UTC 2012

This is pretty great. Crystal not only did an incredible amount of work
but she wrote up a really detailed history of what happened in the last
couple of days. I love the part where she is in the Auto Zone trying to
talk to people about running a ventilator off a car battery, and it's
someone else in line who knows the answer because they worked for a
medical supply company.

http://littlefreeradical.com/2012/10/31/unconventional-aid-helping-nick-dupree-social-networking-style/

They are coordinating efforts to get marine batteries and other supplies
to Nick and Aleja. It's very cool.

Of course I also love that this is another wheelchair user who came to
the realization that in a crisis situation it is not necessarily going
to be useful to go through big organizations and it works better to get
up and go to the scene yourself. I definitely found this to be true with
Hurricane Katrina relief work.

- Liz

--

Liz Henry
liz at bookmaniac.org
http://bookmaniac.org

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ